Spring 2013 - Events and Updates:
It Feels Great to Give
The Community Foundation of Anne Arundel County presents the Great Give, a 24-hour online fundraising event.
From 7 PM on May 15 to 7 PM on May, 16, 2013 the Anne Arundel County community will come together for 24 hours of generosity. During that 24-hour timeframe, please go to SRLT's Razoo page to donate to Scenic Rivers Land Trust. 100% of each donation will be given to us. And there are cash awards we can win, too!
The goal of the Great Give is to raise awareness of local charities, generate mission-critical operating funds from their current donors while showcasing them to new donors, provide charities the chance to earn additional cash prizes and inspire and strengthen a “Give Local” spirit among the generous citizens, businesses and organizations that call Anne Arundel County home. Working together we can make a difference!
UPCOMING HIKE at Cabin Branch - May 18th, 2013!
In celebration of SRLT’s many community partnerships and Anne Arundel County’s wild open spaces, we’d like to encourage our Friends of SRLT to take advantage of Severn River Association’s (SRA) upcoming hike on May 18th.
SRA’s next hike will be on May 18th, 2 pm on Bestgate Road, along the recently completed (and cleaned as part of Project Clean Stream) Cabin Branch Restoration Project.
When: Saturday, May 18th at 2 pm
Where: First National Bank (old Bank Annapolis) parking lot, in back, 1000 Bestgate Road
Duration: About 3 hours.
Difficulty: Relatively easy, really just a nice walk in the woods. A few short slopes but nothing strenuous. Shorts should be fine, weather permitting.
Registration not required, but you can Sign up here to be added to SRLT's list.
Look forward to seeing you!
Walk for the Woods, April 20 & 21, 2013
Photo link coming soon...
Walk for the Woods is an annual event co-sponsored by Scenic Rivers Land Trust and Anne Arundel County Department of Recreation and Parks. The walk is an opportunity to explore 900+ acres of fields, streams, and woodlands and to celebrate this natural heritage on one of the largest tracts of forest left in the county. This unique piece of county parkland is open to the public during SRLT's Annual Walk, and planning continues to develop regular public access.
The walk is free to all. Donations to SRLT are welcome and are used to continue our mission to permanently protect natural and scenic areas in Anne Arundel County. Thank you to all who attended this year's Walk and for your generous support!
Sign up here for future hikes at Bacon Ridge and other SRLT walks in Anne Arundel County.
SRLT gives a big THANK YOU to Herald Harbor Volunteer Fire Department for providing stand-by medical services on Saturday April 20th for our Walk for the Woods. Luckily, no one needed to use their medical expertise! If you love the outdoors and enjoy concerts, check out their summer concert series!
- Listen in: Annapolis Green's co-founder Elvia Thompson hosted SRLT's Executive Director, Rick Leader, on her radio show "Living Green in Annapolis" on November 21, 2012. Read Elvia's Patch blog post about SRLT's upcoming Walk for the Woods.
- An updated version of the SRLT Campaign to 2015, "Building on Success...Protecting Priority Lands in our County," is available for you to view. The first two pages provide a brief summary, which are followed by "A Detailed Look at the Path to 2015 and 5,000 Protected Acres." We encourage all comments and questions by either email or telephone. We look forward to a final release at our Walk for the Woods on April 20th and 21st, 2013.
- We have published our end of the year fundraising newsletter that highlights SRLT's accomplishments in 2012. Click here to view the PDF.
SRLT's 50th conservation easement, on the Patuxent River in Lothian.
Since 1988, the Scenic Rivers Land Trust (SRLT) has been protecting land in Anne Arundel County. We work with landowners to safeguard their land in the manner that best suits their needs and priorities. Our professional staff guides landowners in the creation of legal land preservation agreements that define how their property will be protected and can make them eligible for significant property tax savings, large charitable deductions and estate tax savings. SRLT currently manages conservation easements on 60 properties, totaling over 2,600 acres. SRLT also works with Anne Arundel County and other local government entities to provide on-the-ground support and research that informs the selection of priority lands for government purchase or protection. This work has resulted in the protection of thousands of additional acres.
The Scenic Rivers Land Trust works with landowners and other partners to preserve natural and scenic areas in Anne Arundel County. This work is accomplished though landowner education and holding and facilitating land protection agreements.
- To identify, monitor and protect priority natural areas in the watersheds of five rivers: Severn, South, West, Rhode and Patuxent.
- To educate landowners, community leaders, and public officials about voluntary techniques for protecting and preserving land
- To accept and manage conservation easements for the permanent protection of land
- To assist in the protective stewardship of our natural resources